Please use your device in landscape view.
Jamestown / Olean Interurbans
Maps and Details on the Interurbans Systems in New York
Did You Know?
- The last interurban line in New York State outside New York City, was the Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern, which lasted until November 30, 1947.
Trolley History Details
The Jamestown Westfield & Northwestern Railroad was originally an old railroad built as a connecting link for interchange among several trunk lines. The Jamestown Westfield & Northwestern Railroad acquired this bankrupt railroad between Jamestown and Westfield in 1913 and operated as an electric trolley line starting in 1914. Dubbed the "Chautauqua Lake Route", the single track 32 mile electric interurban provided frequent passenger and freight trolley service. From Jamestown, the route was west along the north edge of Chautauqua Lake. It was an important connecting service for the New York Central. This passenger and freight interchange was the lifeblood of the line's financial health.
A second railroad, the Chautauqua Traction Co., ran along the west (south) side of the lake starting in 1904. It was abandoned March 26, 1926.
Jamestown / Olean Area Map
Pan and zoom in and out on the map below for a detailed understanding of the various trolley companies in service in 1924.
Zoom in and out using the mousewheel. Once enlarged, left mouseclick and drag to pan. On mobile touch-enabled devices the usual pinch gestures can be used to zoom in and out and tap and drag to pan around.
Interurban Timelines - Predecessors/Mergers/End of Life
Jamestown Street Railway
- 1884-1938 - Jamestown Street Railway Co.
1938 - streetcars discontinued
1904-1926 - Chautauqua Traction Company
Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern
- 1881-1913 - Mayville Extension Railroad, Chautauqua Lake Railway (Steam)
1914- 1947 Converted to Electric
1947 - Passenger Service discontinued
1950 - Freight Service discontinued
- 1894-1921 - Western New York and Pennsylvania Traction Company
1921-1927 - Olean, Bradford and Salamanca Railway
1927 - abandoned
Please use the browser's back button to take you back to this site.
- Warren and Jamestown Street Railway
- Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern Railroad
- Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern Railroad (Abandoned Rails)
- Video: Jamestown N.Y. Trolleys
- Past Glories: Part II - The Trolley
- Jamestown Street Railway
- Olean, NY - The Way It Was
The Electric Interurban Railways in America
David Rumsey Historical Map Collection