New Canaan Train Station

In 1731, Connecticut's colonial legislature established Canaan Parish as a religious entity in northwestern Norwalk and northeastern Stamford. Until the Revolutionary War, New Canaan was primarily an agricultural community.

After the war, New Canaan's major industry was shoe making. As New Canaan's shoe business gathered momentum early in the nineteenth century, instead of a central village, regional settlements of clustered houses, mill, and school developed into distinct district centers. Some of the districts were centered on Ponus Ridge, West Road, Oenoke Ridge, Smith Ridge, Talmadge Hill and Silvermine, a pattern which the village gradually outgrew.

New Canaan Train Station - 1868

Source: http://www.bera.org/trolleytowns/trolleyphotos/new_canaan.jpg
< Back